Another Saturday Night Story: Mother's Road to Recovery

ShareThis

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Mother's Road to Recovery

I apologize that I haven't written for this Blog for the past two weeks. I have been preoccupied with the news that my 82 year old Mother, Louise, has Kidney Cancer. She called me on Friday (three weeks ago) and called her other children to tell of this news. Her Doctor told her by phone that she had Kidney Cancer and that it was not curable nor treatable. By Sunday, Mother did not have the energy to walk across the living room and my older Brother, Tim, took her to the Cancer Hospital. This has been quite an ordeal for my Mother and for my Brother and my Sisters.

Let me begin by saying that once that they took my Mother to the Hospital on Sunday, all I could do was pace the floor. My mind was preoccupied with my thoughts about her and what she must be feeling. By Tuesday, they had decided that Mother's health aside from the Kidney Cancer was in such great shape that they did Surgery on her and removed the tumorous Kidney. Her Cancer Doctor says there is a pill she can take once a day that should dissolve the rest of the Cancer. We are all hopeful and praying that this is the road to her recovery. She is still weak; but, alert. She is walking and eating and she is fighting to get her strength back after this Surgery.

I have been back and forth to Oklahoma City a couple of times during the last weeks. I think about my Mother every waking hour of the day wondering how she is, what her improvements are and wanting to be there with her.

I need to say this about my Mother - she is probably the most courageous person I've ever known. She always stood up for us kids. She's been a successful business person who stood up in front of large crowds of people and spoke. She is a leader among other co-workers. When we were growing up, we were not poor; but, we didn't have a lot of money. What money we had, she spent on us kids and not on herself. She's loved all of us kids through all of our own ups and downs and made us all better people because of it. My Mother is a Sports Fan and has been for several years. She knows all of the player's names in Major League Baseball and all the boy's names of the College Basketball Teams.

When I was little, I used to break everything nice that she had in the house and she still loved me. When I was five or six years old, I fell out of the car when it was going 50 mph and cracked my head open and she still loved me. When I got older and joined the Marines, they sent my Civilian clothes back in a box and she told me that she had never cried so hard on that day. I have, for many years, called and talked to my Mother two, three or 4 times a week. I can talk to her about anything in my life and she will listen as a best friend would.

I have enjoyed visiting with my three Sisters these past couple of weeks since we hardly get to see each other or speak. They are as stressed out about this whole situation as I am. I love all of them. My older Brother has lived with my Mother for some 20 years. I am grateful that he has been there to watch over Mother during this time.

I know that there are many, many people out there who are praying for her speedy recovery. I want all of you to know that I am thankful.

Song of the Week
My Mothers favorite singer is Barbara Striesand, and one of her favorites is "People".

Have a Good Week
Daniel

No comments: