Another Saturday Night Story: Mother Has Passed On

ShareThis

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Mother Has Passed On



My Mother passed away last Sunday night, May 20, at 10:42 PM. She waited till my little sister Abby, driving from New Orleans, arrived at 10:30 PM. All of the siblings were at her bedside when she passed away. Although my mother was 82 years old, and lived a good life, she will be missed by all of us kids, Grandkids and Great Grandkids.

I would like to thank those that took part in the service. The service was held in a small chapel. Those that wanted to speak about Mother were invited to come forward. Special thanks to my nephew and nieces, Evan, Erin, Ericka, Ashley, Jessica, and Jackie. They spoke of what Mother mean't to them, things Mother liked, quoted some of the most beautiful poems ever written. My sisters Becky, Debby, and Abby, spoke of their life experience with Mother, the love that mother gave to all us kids. I would like to thank my sisters for planning such a wonderful service for Mother. My love for my sisters has grown even stronger after this ordeal in our lives.

Most of us take life for granted, and sometimes things are not what they seem. My older brother lived with my Mother for some twenty years. My Mother help raise his two children. I would like to thank my sisters for relocating my brother. Yes, these things are hard, and when tragedy strikes, no one is immune from it's ripple effect, not even my brother, who I love very much. A special thank you to Thorn and Tony, for helping move the belongings to storage, and for your moral support throughout this ordeal. My cousins Martha and Marsha, summed this up, and was repeated to me from my sister Debby. "Both of our parents have passed on, and now we are the elders, it is our responsibility to keep everyone in touch with family". We should have a family reunion every other year. Why?..........because everyone who attended Mothers service loves each other, and loves their family. Her legacy of unselfish love should be passed down to generations.

A big thank you goes out to my Uncle Rick and Aunt Marsha. Rick is my Mothers brother. They opened their house, and their hearts, to all who attended the services. We ate food, visited, and remembered Mother.
My Grandaughter Kayla, who will be seven years old in September. Has a story to tell. The night Grandma died, at about 10:30 PM, she was rummaging through her dresser drawers, and began to see this foggy looking thing against the wall. Then she heard Grandma say to her "I Love You". Kayla also attended the services for Mother.

A very special thank you to my brother-in-law, Bruce Brink. He stood in for me and spoke on my behalf, gave the introduction at the service, and read the poem "Mother", from this Blog that I had published on Mothers Day. There is no way I could have even gotten three words out without breaking down and crying. And so...................These are the words that I would have said.

Yes....you were my friend. I watched over the years that you would give your love to others, while only thinking of yourself. My heart is broken that you are gone. I can not speak, I can only cry. You have been my pillar for so many years, when my own heart aches from these journeys we call life. I remember being in so much trouble when I was a kid. But you loved me unconditionally no matter what I did wrong. When I was in Vietnam I would think about you, and that somehow gave me strength to make it through the day. When I lost a loved one, or lost a job, or lost my sense of direction, you were always there to show me the way, and how to retain my sense of humor. If you could see me now, my heart so heavy, curled up like a small child wondering on my own. Do you see me now..........I can't let go!..........these tears I cry for you..........I hope you are safe and you walk the path for everlasting life with "the old man with the long white whiskers". Please Lord, take her hand, and let her walk with you........... Go now Mother and see our "God Almighty".........I love you Mother, and I will miss you.

As she requested, my Mothers ashes were tossed off the Nianqua River Bridge(pictured above), at Bennett Springs State Park, in Missouri. This is a very special place among my brother and sisters. We grew up there, camping and fishing when we were just kids. A special place for Mother too, away from the drama of everyday life.

Songs of the Week

These were some of the songs played at the service for Mother. Please enjoy!

Allison Krausse - I'll Fly Away

Jeff Carson - I Can Only Imagine
My little sisters request with lyrics, by Blake Shelton.
My brother said that I was rotten to the core. I was the youngest child, so I got by with more. I guess she was tired by the time I came along. She'd laugh until she cried: I could do no wrong. She would always save me, because I was her baby.

I worked a factory in Ohio, A shrimp boat in the Bayou, I drove a truck in Birmingham. Turned twenty-one in Cincinnati, I called home to Mom and Daddy, I said: "Your boy is now a man." She said: "I don't care if you're 80, "You'll always be my baby."

She loved that photograph of our whole family. She'd always point us out, for all her friends to see. "That's Greg he's doing great. He really loves his job. "And Ronnie with his two kids. How 'bout that wife he's got. "And that one's kinda crazy, but that one is my baby."

I got a call in Alabama, Said: "Come on home to Louisianna, "And come as fast as you can fly. "'Cause your momma really needs you, "And says she's got to see you. "An' she might not make it through the night." The whole way I drove 80, So she could see her baby.

She looked like she was sleepin', And my family had been weepin', By the time that I got to her side. And I knew that she'd been taken, And my heart, it was breakin', I never got to say goodbye. I softly kissed that lady, And cried just like a baby.
Have a Wonderful Week
Daniel

No comments: