Another Saturday Night Story: The New 7 Wonders of the World

ShareThis

Saturday, October 21, 2006

The New 7 Wonders of the World

Vote for the new 7 world wonders

The commonly known Seven Ancient Wonders of the World were all man-made monuments, selected by Philon of Byzantium in 200 B.C. Today, only the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt remain.

His selection of wonders was essentially a travel guide for fellow Athenians, and the stunning sites were all located around the Mediterranean basin, the then-known world.

The monuments he chose, to be remembered in perpetuity, were:

The Lighthouse of Alexandria
The Temple of Artemis
The Statue of Zeus
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
The Pyramids of Egypt

All had been built between 2,500 B.C. and 200 B.C.

Now, just as Pierre de Coubertin revived the Olympic Games in 1896 with his modern version of the competition, New7Wonders founder Bernard Weber is seeking to revive the concept of the 7 Wonders of the World with this ambitious global campaign, the New 7 Wonders of the World.
The key difference is that, this time around, they will not be chosen by one man, but rather by millions of people all over the world.

The new wonders that are selected will be the people’s choices, and they will be drawn from the earliest time that humankind walked upon the earth up through the year 2000.

It is, therefore, possible that the only survivor of the original 7 Wonders of the World, the Pyramids at Giza, could be chosen for a second time, taking them well into a third millenium of fame!

The New 7 Wonders of the World will be announced during the Official Declaration ceremony in Lisbon, Portugal on Saturday, July 7, 2007 - 07.07.07.

I have spent most of the week at this website, browsing through, and learning about all 21 structures. How interesting, we can all be a part of history, by voting on something so historical. I have almost made my final 7 decision vote, but I am still researching these structures. I have included a link on the sidebar of this blog for your convenience, and for your own vote. Have fun browsing this site!

In The News
- The whole world is watching to see how we handle the Iraq War. We have called the Generals back in for new strategies, because the first set of strategies, did not include contingency plans in case we fail. This is the most important part of the strategy process, ask any executive, with any Fortune 500 company. Maybe we need to put Donald Trump on contracted labor. If you think that Westpoint Graduates, and Generals have a monopoly on War Strategies, just look in every boardroom with American business. Let's get street smart, and invite some civilians into this strategy. If you think that inviting the "Blood" and the "Crips" to this strategy is outrageous, think again! Im tired of these people, beheading our people, in the name of Allah. Let's get some "meat" behind this next strategy.....Whatta ya say!!....I mean...if we HAVE to be there.......let's get in there, and kick there ASS!
- The "Foley Sex Scandal" has once again reached in to the Catholic Church. Foley's boyhood Priest, says they were naked in a hot bath, there was some fondling going on, but nothing abusive..............because he (Foley) seem to like it..............-------->HELLO....WAKE UP.........HE WAS 13 YEARS OLD!! Is this how the Priest...hood justifies there actions. It is a "Hood" ya know!...sick...sick....sick!
- Our bi-polar friend in North Korea apolgized this week, and has promised, no more Nuke test. China shut off their bank accounts earlier this week. Oh YES, I remember, when my mother used to pinch me in the back of my upper arm. OUCH!....................and I did exactly as I was told.
- Country music star, Keith Urban, has checked himself into Alcohol Rehab. Mr. Urban, recently married Nichole Kidman, after a short romance. My question is this, did she check herself in also? Im not stupid, this was one big party to start with, and he surely doesn't drink and party alone. This is the same thing that happen to Rene Zellweggar, and Kenny Chesney. After six months, honeymoon, and the party is over, now we have to learn to live together. That's right, no matter how much money or fame they have, they have to mature together emotionally, without drugs and alcohol, just like the rest of us. This primal process of every human relationship amazes me! Ain't life a bitch!!
- Once again we are censoring our Artist. NBC has decided they will censor Madonna's up coming concert, "Confessions". They will be censoring the part where she is strapped on a mirrored cross, complete with a thorn crown. Tonight I have included the theme song to the 007 classic movie hit "Goldfinger", by Shirley Bassey. Back then, they did not have ratings, you just went, and watched what you wanted. I guess I was twelve, when in 1964 the movie depicted a character named "Pussy Galore". According to Wikipedia, she was the head of the all Lesbian gang known as the "Cement Mixers". Yes...after watching this classic some 100 times in the last 40 years, my mind is warped with sex and drugs. The thought police are looking for me...............Just the stupidity of such censorship, to question our own intelligence about such matters. I am allowed to think what I want, when I want, quit insulting me, by trying to control the way I think, it makes you want to go make "Toilet Confessions"...........I'm puking Galore!

Songs from the Past

I thought I would include some songs tonight, some more oldies. I have a new link out on the sidebar. It is internet radio 24 hrs a day, Maurice Watts website. Maurice has been a Disc Jockey in Harlem, NY, for almost 25 years. I enjoy listening to his Love Zone station. Give it a try, I think you'll like it too!

Roger Miller - King of the Road (Original Version 1964)

Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger (James Bond 1964)

Ramsey Lewis Trio - The In Crowd (1965)

Have a wonderful week!

No comments: