Another Saturday Night Story: Funky Soul and a Blast from the Past

ShareThis

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Funky Soul and a Blast from the Past


I guess you know by now that I am a music fanatic. Yes ......I own a virtual history of music dating back to 1910. I think I have some music from about every year, and from just about every genre. When I was about 15 years old, we used to go camping at Bennett Springs State Park, in Missouri. This was a family thing, and yes we would go about every weekend. When I got older I figured out that this was my fathers way of keeping me out of trouble. But we had fun, lots of fishing, swimming, and meeting new friends, from just about anywhere. The Hawkinsons were from Tulsa, and they were frequent campers, that had kids the same age as me and my brother and sisters. Jim was my age, kind of a weird kid back then, anyway, we used to run together. He had this old phonograph, battery operated, he carried all his albums with him. Keep in mind that this was just shortly before they had boom boxes, cassette tapes, CD's were to come much later. He would walk a mile, and then we would stop under a shade tree, listen to some Jefferson Airplane, then we would walk another mile, we would find another shade tree and stop, and listen to some Cream. This was fun back in those days. We would listen to "Cant Get No Satisfaction" 100 times a day. Now Mick Jagger wants me to pay him .99 cents to download that song. I am patiently waiting for my senior citizen discount.

Somehow I think that things have gotten out of control. Now days, kids have guns for fun. They do unthinkable things, and then blame them on others. The rash of school shootings this past two weeks is unthinkable to me. Where does this hatred come from? Whatever happen to just sitting under a shade tree, listening to the old phonograph?

I thought I would put some tunes up for you tonight. There is a new album just released oct. 2, 2006, its called What it is! Funky Soul and other Grooves, you can read the review at All-Music.Com. This album has some of the oldest Funky style music that I have ever heard. Some of these songs I cant get, because they are so old that folks just dont put them up on a PP network. It is a box set with 91 songs on the set. I love funky music, I know my brother loves funky music too. If Tim and I could have, we would have had Afro haircuts back in the 70's. Some of these are the original off this album and others are remakes. I am going to put a bonus track here too. "Under the Bamboo Tree" Marie Cahill recorded in 1917. So enjoy!

Faze O "Riding High"

Paul Butterfield Band "Get out of my life Woman"

Wilson Pickett "Engine Number 9"

Have a wonderful week!

No comments: