Another Saturday Night Story: Boot's is his name..SAX is his game

ShareThis

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Boot's is his name..SAX is his game

















Tonight I thought I would tribute a couple of musicians, one young, and one old that just passed away this week at the age of 80.

Boots Randolph was a wonderful musician. He played in a variety of bands throughout his career. You will probably remember him from his big hit in the early sixties, "Yakety Sax". That song later became the theme song for the Benny Hill show. Boots Randolph was the first to ever play sax on recordings with Elvis, and the only one to ever play solo with him, in addition to recording on the soundtracks for 8 of his movies. Boots also played on such diverse recordings as Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman", Al Hirt's "Java", REO Speedwagon's "Little Queenie", and Brenda Lee's "Rockin' 'Round The Christmas Tree". In fact, he has a 30-year history of playing on records with her, including "I Want To Be Wanted" and "I'm Sorry". An array of other artists who have added the Yakety Sax touch to their recordings include Chet Atkins, Buddy Holly, Floyd Cramer, Alabama, Johnny Cash, Richie Cole, Pete Fountain, Tommy Newsom and Doc Severinsen.

His final solo studio album "A Whole New Ballgame" was released June 12, 2007. Boot's passed away July 3, 2007, at his hometown of Nashville, TN.

Please enjoy these songs, by one of the greatest Sax players of all time!

Yakety Sax

Sweet Georgia Brown

Sleep Walk

Cracklin Sax

Sentimental Journey



Blue-eyed soul music has got a new crown prince...and he's on a crusade.






Mark Broussard has a new album out called SOS - Save Our Soul. This is a wonderful album of words and music that will touch your soul. He has done his own renditions of some of the old school soul music of the sixties and seventies. Songs by Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, and others.

You can listen to his interview with NPR Radio this week at this link. Go to his MySpace page to hear Al Green's hit "Love and Happiness".

Broussard was born into a musical family, so his "ownership" goes back to his days as a boy hearing his father, Louisiana Hall of Fame guitarist Ted Broussard, (member of the legendary Gulf Coast blue eyed soul band The Boogie Kings) tear through soul nuggets with bands around suburban Carencro. And Marc was singing like the style's founders by the time he was in his teens.

"Years before I made my first album" - 2002's surprisingly mature Momentary Setback - "my uncle told me I needed to form my own music by using all of my influences along the way and combining them with my own perspective on life. 'Then,' he said, 'you'll have a great package to call your own.' I think I achieved that with Carencro. Now I've been touring behind that album nearly three years, and I want to share a new message. Not just that real soul music still has a place in our lives, but that we need to have more social consciousness. I don't want to lecture anybody about that. I want them to feel it through the positive vibes of this music."

I failed to mention that Mark is 20 something, and from Louisiana Cajun Country. Good Luck Mark, your destined for greatness in your career.

Have a Good Week

Daniel

No comments: