Another Saturday Night Story: On The Edge

ShareThis

Saturday, June 09, 2007

On The Edge



I guess you could say I lived on the edge during my stay as a Marine.

I ran recon missions into Vietnam, 1970. We had this crazy Captain, who had spent 3 years in Vietnam. He taught us self defense, he was a black belt 8th degree. It took every night for three months, but we were all trained when it was over. He had this theory, we should be able to kill a man in 5 seconds, with our bare hands. An ear, an eye, it did not matter, if you were fast enough, you graduated. Everyday I thought I was going to die. We learn to walk at night, with the ball of our feet, so we would not make any noise. We were silent and deadly. We would travel to our missions in three man teams. We would map and document everything we did and had seen in our missions. We would sleep during the day and travel at night. You just did not have to be physically fit to do this, but you had to be mentally strong.

I then guarded nuclear bombs after leaving Vietnam . First on ship, then we also ran them cross country. Where there is one bomb, there is also one Marine. Do not come within 50ft. of his perimeter. After warning a 2nd Lt. not to enter my perimeter one day, I broke his chops! He was later court martialed. This is a very lonely job!

I worked in the brigg for awhile, and ran hard labor prisoners. We ran the Brigg on ship for awhile, and then we ran hard labor prisoners in the Phillipines. I had a prisoner who had shot his own Company Commander in Vietnam. He turned on me one day. I now, where a scare above my right eye. I like to killed him with my nightstick when I was done with him. I guess you could say I never trusted anyone after that.

I guarded Nixon in San Clemente. I guarded an Admiral, and then a General, called orderly duty in the Marines. Presidential Guard is not fun work. The equation for this is...........you die before he does! I drank alot back then. I had made it through Vietnam, and then assigned this duty.......and again......Everyday I thought I was going to die.

I later went AWOL, working in the oil fields in west Texas, losing all my rank and spent 45 days at Treasure Island brigg in San Francisco. I actually had fun for once in my life. Working the oil rigs. You show up at 3 am in the morning with your sack lunch. If they like you, they pick you to work all day. After 10 or 12 hours you made $150 cash. That was alot of money back in 1972. Spending time in the brigg was easy work compared to everything else, it was like a holiday. We played basketball, watch TV. We would line 50 guys on one side, and 50 guys on the other, and play football, full contact, in a gravel parking lot. We were all bleeding when we finished the game. I still have scares from those games. When I left Treasure Island, they paid me 2 months pay....Cash! WE went to the Playboy Club, and had Steak and Ale.

I was later assigned to a Battalion of Vietnam Veterans at Camp Pendleton, CA. After about 4 months there, I was recruited into the "top squad in the Marine Corp" in 1972. That is the top 13 men out of 220,000 Marines. This was a squad competition among all Marines. I made back all my rank meritoriously, all of the ranks were presented by the Commanding General, 1st Marine Division. The training for this competition took 10 months. We would start our day with a brisk 20 mile run starting at 4 am. Anyway, we won this competition. I was given a gold medal for this.........but I don't know where it is!
Every person should have a chance to redeem themselves......don’t you agree? I went from this highly intriguing and thrilling lifestyle to become a nightman at a convenience store. The adjustment was hard and I was bored to death. I still am!
Next time you meet a War Veteran, you better hug him with all your might. You may not know what hell he has been through. But.....one thing is to be sure......he did it all for you!
I am so proud of my niece, Amber, who is serving at the Pentagon. We love you!
For many years I have struggled with my War experience. I think it is time to share with you some of my thoughts and feelings of that experience. For most of my life, I have lived day to day, never knowing what would happen, or how I would feel. I have come to grips with, and resolved alot of the way I feel. But.....the War will never be over for me. I will now share with you a poem I wrote some 15 years ago, this was also 20 years after Vietnam.
Old Joe
Choppered a long flight, I was dropped down at night
Scurried two clicks that night, didn't move during daylight
When morning came, wet and quiet, time to sleep the day
Three day mission 1st day routine, but I was gonna pay

Almost asleep, I heard a pop, it was far away
Boots on a branch, rustle of jungle, knew I couldn't stay
Gathered my thoughts, not to get caught, I ran...ran...ran
I'd been spotted, gun in my hand, but I was told not to stand

Twenty two miles, I ran that day, he followed me all the way
Thoughts of killing him, was on my mind, it weighed
He could run farther than me, ahead in my mind, I was not kind
Came to a clearing, I'd had enough, I let the chamber slide

Locked and loaded I sat ready, hoping his hands not steady
Dawned on me, the noise I'd make, fix bayounet, now I was ready
Intended swift and deadly, didn't know my mortal enemy
Hope he came hard and fast, time to kill, I was more savvy

I lurked out, blade in his belly, a tear in his face, I could see
My rifle butt to his face, not a word spoken, to the ground he lay be
Checked his pulse, this courageous man, dead...at peace he may be
I stayed for hours, sorting my mind, why this happened to me.

The search found pictures, wife and kids, smiling for daddy
His legs scarred and scabbed, from fighting in rice paddys
Rice and water, was all he had, this was hell
Tougher than nails, I cried, his sorrow, I didn't feel well

I killed a man, face to face, it hurt me way down inside
Leaving me like a small child, with no place to hide
I think about that man, his family and life, more today than back then
His courage and honor, I took away, left me wondering what he would have been

The blood, the sorrow, the pain, I felt then
Still hurts my mind, left hanging, like leaves on a limb
Somehow I know, and my pain shows, either he or I had to go
But time will not forget, this man I spend my life with, he's called Joe
Song of the Week
This has been one of my favorites for a long time, from the movie "Platoon", and "Adagio for Strings".
Have a Good Week
Daniel

No comments: