Another Saturday Night Story: Racism in America

ShareThis

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Racism in America




On the subject of racism, I've been overly concerned of the hint of racism throughout this country for some time. First off, I was raised in a home where the word, "nigger" was never said. I never ever had a hint of racism from my Mother or my Father.


Later in my life, when I joined the Marines and went to Vietnam, I served in Boot Camp with several blacks, and we became very close buddies all the way into my Vietnam Tour. Those men were like brothers to me. One saved my life, and another, I saved his life while in Vietnam. It was later in my Marine career, that I met Sgt. Watson. Sgt. Watson served two tours in Vietnam, and yes he was an alcoholic. He taught me many things, helped me through some very troublesome times. He taught me to be whole again, and more importantly what being whole really meant. He was not like a brother, but more like a father.

I can tell you, from being a History buff, that yes, America was founded on Slavery. And yes, it was one of the last countries to abolish Slavery in the world. But, there is still a hint of racism throughout this Country. It has been passed down from generation to generation, and it will not be annihilated until each one of us decides that we are all created equal. This attitude has to be passed down to future generations.

The world we live in now is somewhat difficult for those who see color and race as a challenge to their own race. Things are not the same as they were even a hundred years ago. We have multiple colors and races now in America. If you think that you're white, you own a home, and a new car, and have medium income in America, if you think that gives you the right to be racist toward others whether they are Black, Hispanic, Vietnamese, Chinese, or any other race, you're wrong! If you think for one minute that you're more educated than another person of another color, you're wrong. If you think because people are poor that they are dumber than you, or not as ambitious as you, you are wrong again.

If I was to give you a visual picture of the New Orleans Convention Center after Hurricane Katrina, and there on the steps stood a white male Harvard Graduate, and on the other step was a black lady in a wheel chair who we know has been on Welfare for most of her life. Who stood the best chance of surviving? There is no difference. It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, how much education you have, how much money you have, we are all human beings. It doesn't matter what you're color is, or your race. If you think you're sons or daughters or grandchildren will not marry other races - wake up. If you have the mindset that white people are only going to marry white people, all I can say is what the airline pilot says to his passengers when they're ready to crash, "hold your arms to the back of your head, and lean forward."

Now we have a Black Presidential Candidate. Very bright, and quite favorable, in the election polls. I intend to read his book published in 1995, “ Dreams from My Father”. Is America ready for a Black president?


I only have one complaint. If the Hispanics are going to live with us, they must learn to speak English. This is Kansas, USA, there is a sign on the door that says “In”, and “Out”. They are continually going “Out” the “In” door, while others are trying to come “In”. For many, only the kids, who go to school, can count their parents money.

Song of the Week
This is one of my favorites, from the movie "Fighting Temptations", starring Cuba Gooding Jr., and Beyonce. If you haven’t seen the movie......get it.... it is great acting, a great story, and has great music. My favorite song from the track is “He Still Loves Me”, featuring Beyonce, and Eddie Lavert from the O’Jays.

Have a good Week

Daniel

No comments: