Another Saturday Night Story: Full Circle

ShareThis

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Full Circle

In 1963 my family imigrated from the great state of Texas to Southwest Missouri. I was only eleven years old. We left Texas, home of Love field, hot donuts, baseball, friday night football, and swimming pools.Southwest Missouri, on the other hand, is the land of fishing, many lakes and rivers, with mountains and trees. It was a shock to our system, not only was it cold, but the people seemed somewhat northern as compared to southerner's. Funny how each of our states are so differnent, culture and accent. Missouri has always been known for it's "Hillbilly's". I remember the Payne Brothers who live down on the Nianqua River. They hunted for all their food. They had an old house over on the other side of Jack Rabbit pass. The house had a dirt floor, but they had a color Television. There were old washers on the front porch, and three or four old abandon cars in the front lot. Yepper's.........this was Dallas County, MO. There were no airports, four lane highways, or railraods.
It wasn't until I was forty years old, that I realized that the immigration we took in 1963 to Missouri, was where my ancestors came from. Our Second Great Grandfather, Jonathan Rice settled in Polk County, MO, in 1836. He came from Logan County, KY. I was raised about forty miles away from the old Rice homestead, and never went there.
My Dad now rest in Natural Dam AR. I wonder if he knows that his Great Grandfather,Orville Word, rest only fifty miles away in Ft. Smith, AR.
Things always seem to come "Full Circle".

No comments: